Fly (Drosophila) Facility
The availability of the complete annotated sequence of the Drosophila genome coupled with the invention of a number of elegant genetic techniques has made the fruit fly a more attractive model system than ever before. The NCBS-fly facility managed by Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms (C-CAMP) offers a world class microinjection service for the generation of transgenic lines, Screening Platforms, Drosophila strain development and also, maintains a large number of mutant strains and transgenic lines.
Drosophila embryo injection work for transgenic production is a labour intensive process and requires technical expertise. This process often diverts attention from the core research project. We are offering Drosophila Transgenesis services at competitive prices. We have range of services from DNA preparation, embryo injection, selection of transformants, mapping the insertions to balancing the insertions. With the state-of-art equipment and the experienced staff we are able to generate transgenics in high-throughput rate. The highly motivated team has successfully generated 5000 transgenics for a collaborative project and few hundreds of transgenics for others.
Currently we are offering following service plans:
Terms and Conditions for Site specific BAC:
Users are requested to provide the DNA samples of 4 µg of DNA in ca. 20µl of MilliQ water or TE buffer having A260/A280 in the range of 1.8-1.9
Users are requested to clearly provide the details of the BAC or Fosmid like name and size of the construct including insert, selectable marker for successful transformation in fly, gel picture and spectrophotometric (concentration and A260/A280) readings and any information related to the service in the given fields while uploading the job request in our order tracking system.
Users are requested to choose the docking/landing site from the given list.
Injections will be performed immediately using the strains 9723 and 32542, whereas for the rest of the strains, minimum 30-45 days are required for amplifying the stock to the injection level before injecting the sample. Please note that, only 9723 and 32542 can be used for the constructs having ds-Red expressed in eyes as selectable marker.
1. BAC/Fosmid will be injected into about 500 embryos of the landing site strain (selected by the user).
2. Injecting the same sample in more than one landing site of the same chromosome or different chromosome will be considered and charged as a separate service. Users are requested to upload separate form for each landing site on the order tracking system.
3. If the DNA sample doesn’t yield transgenics in the first time injections, we will inject the sample for second time for no extra charge. However, for the samples which fail to yield transgenics even after the second time injections will be charged fully.
4. Generally, transgenics are scored within 30-40 days from the injection date i.e., in first two rounds of screening. If transgenics are not seen in these first two rounds, the screening will be extended till transgenics are found. Then only second time injections will be performed. In such cases, there might be delay in the information about the results; hence users are requested to take a note of this.
5. So far, our facility has the transformation efficiencies for each range of BAC clone sizes as demonstrated below.
Submitting a Drosophila Transgenic Service request:
To submit a request for Drosophila Transgenic services, please register by clicking here. After registration, please login and click on "My requests" in the menu bar followed by "New request".
The desired service form (P-element or Site-specific) can be filled and submitted to us.
Registered users can submit a service request by clicking here.
Achievements and Collaborations
Highly skilled team at our fly facility has generated >5000 transgenics for DPiM(Drosophila Protein interaction Map) a collaborative project with Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
We have successfully generated transgenics for BAC clones of size ranging from 35kb to >80kb size.
Currently we are involved in generating transgenics for the project TransgeneOme in collaboration with MPI-CBG, Dresden, Germany.
Some of our esteemed customers
For more information on Fly (Drosophila) facility, please write to services [at] ccamp.res.in
K. J. Vinay Vikas